After celebrating my dad's 60th by hiking last year, my mom celebrated with a special birthday trip to Charleston, South Carolina this year. We headed east for 4 days over my spring break. Poor Maggie had to stay home and have surprise gallbladder surgery instead - we missed you!
We spent a lot of time walking, driving, and taking in the sights of this great old town. The food was all wonderful, old houses were everywhere, and we figured out why people always talk about renting beach houses on the coast - so pretty, I'd love to go back.
- Checking out the beach houses on Isle of Palms, Folly Beach, and Sullivan's Island
- Fresh seafood at Fleet Landing right over the water (blackened shrimp with pimento cheese grits!)
- Sunday service at St. Philip's Episcopal Church (with preppy bowties on all the guys)
- Hipster brunch at Kitchen 208, monkfish and fish and chips at Pearlz, and she-crab soup and boiled peanut salad at snazzy Magnolia's
- Riding the free city trolley and walking the town through waterfront park and battery park
- Touring the Calhoun Mansion full of wild art and antiquities
- Shopping at the City Market, King Street's 2nd Sunday festivities, and the Austin-like Ashley Forest area
- Great tours at the Boone Hall Plantation Tour, Charleston Tea Plantation, Drayton Hall, and Magnolia Plantation and Gardens - all a little different and neat
Back to Texas (after several hours of waiting in an under-construction-airport and a flight delay)
Happy Birthday Mom - Thanks for a great trip!