Guess who spent Thanksgiving hiking to the top of Texas? We took a trip to the wild west last week to celebrate my dad's 60th birthday over Thanksgiving break.
Inspired by The Daytripper, my dad planned a this family trip to Guadalupe Peak last spring. Maggie+Jimmy were supposed to join us on this trip too, but they had a baby that day instead. Good excuse I guess! It was a great surprise to learn our new niece Lydia made her arrival on Thanksgiving after spending a long day hiking. We definitely won't forget that memorable day.
1,500 miles and 4-days of fun, including...
- Exploring Midland, and Mike's childhood home and schools
- Historic Hotel El Capitan in Van Horn
- Dinner at Chuy's, John Madden's favorite
- 9 hours of hiking at Guadalupe Mountains National Park - ice and snow on the trail was a challenging surprise!
- Exploring quirky Marfa, no Marfa mystery light sightings though
- Learning about the sun at the fancy McDonald Observatory
Chisholm Midland House
Looking down at El Capitan
Happy Birthday Dad!
Marfa Lights Viewing Area
Goodbye West Texas!