Guadalupe Peak Thanksgiving
Guess who spent Thanksgiving hiking to the top of Texas? We took a trip to the wild west last week to celebrate my dad's 60th birthday over Thanksgiving break.
Inspired by The Daytripper, my dad planned this family trip to Guadalupe Peak last spring. Maggie+Jimmy were supposed to join us on this trip too, but they had a baby that day instead. Good excuse I guess! It was a great surprise to learn our new niece Lydia made her arrival on Thanksgiving after spending a long day hiking. We definitely won't forget that memorable day.
1,500 miles and 4-days of fun, including...
- Exploring Midland, and Mike's childhood home and schools
- Historic Hotel El Capitan in Van Horn
- Dinner at Chuy's, John Madden's favorite
- 9 hours of hiking at Guadalupe Mountains National Park - ice and snow on the trail was a challenging surprise!
- Exploring quirky Marfa, no Marfa mystery light sightings though
- Learning about the sun at the fancy McDonald Observatory
Chisholm Midland House
Looking down at El Capitan
Happy Birthday Dad!
Marfa Lights Viewing Area
Goodbye West Texas!