BBQ Birthday

Last weekend I took my first trip southeast for a super 3-day weekend/birthday celebration, just like last year in Waco/Westfest. My sister moved to the Houston area over the summer and just happened to need a few extra judges at the BBQ festival at my brother-in-law's new church. Lucky me, I can add IBCA bbq judge to my resume.
It was family-filled as I joined my parents and aunt and uncle at my sister's new house (while Matt enjoyed a fantasy football draft/poker party with college friends). Most of Saturday we sweated it out while attending the Holy Comforter Spring BBQ Festival for all-you-can-eat lunch, music, cake auction, and door prizes, along with Jimmy's family and cute new nephew too.
The festival was a qualifier for the next level of BBQ champs so the cook teams were no joke. My sister, dad, and I evaluated 13 briskets at the judges table and had to use a new knife and fork for every bite and cleanse our palates with a saltine and pickle between each entry. It was all on a number system so I'm not sure if I picked the big winner, but most of the entires were really good. You could tell they were cooking quality meat. I hope I can do it again someday - thanks for the fun Jimmy!
We spent the rest of the weekend exploring Spring/The Woodlands with my first trip to Trader Joe's, cupcakes, and a super seafood birthday lunch at Landry's after church. I also had my first Buc-ee's experience on the trip (yay for beaver nuggets, jerky, and a nice coffee bar too). Thanks for a great birthday weekend!

Comments