January 15, 2012

2x2 in Review

Earlier this month I attended my final selection committee meeting for the 2x2 Reading List. The committee of five had narrowed it down from 700+ books to our top 50 through monthly reviews. When we met at the TCU Library for two days we discussed and debated our top picks before finalizing the Top 20 for the 2012 2x2 Reading List. I love the list and am actually pretty surprised at what we ended up choosing.
You seem to go into these types of meetings thinking you know what books will be on the list, but after deliberation things go a different way, making the list even better than if you had made it on your own. I have a tendency to love funny picture books and obviously the whole list can't just be about getting a laugh. (P.S. Wiener Wolf is my favorite from the list!)
[The Favorites Shelf]

I'm going to miss having the best new books arrive on my doorstep, but I'm not going to miss unpacking boxes and watching them overtake my house like they have for the past two and a half years. Right now, the committee is in the process of making activities and putting our presentation together for TLA in Houston, where my time served will officially end after the conference in April. All in all, working on the committee was a great experience. It was more work than I expected, but meaningful and fun. Hope you like the list!

No comments:

Post a Comment